Friday, July 15, 2011

Feeding the Baby

If it's not worrying about sleep and settling with a newborn, it's worrying about.. dum dum dum.....
feeding!
I am currently breastfeeding the little guy, and I swear nobody tells you that it can be quite difficult! When I see/ hear of others breastfeeding it always just seemed to easy and relaxed.
In truth, it can be quite the opposite! I am pretty determined to continue breastfeeding for a while longer, but it hasn't been without it's hiccups. To start with, the first month or so I had to deal with the pain of cracked nipples. Now I had midwifes and such check to see if he was latching on correctly (he was), but I still had this hideous toe curling pain each time he would feed. Finally they healed up, and all is well.
Now I'm past the first hurdle and onto the next one!
It seems that Hudson is getting more and more fussy every time he feeds. I don't know if this is a wind issue, or if he is a lazy feeder, but I swear during my afternoon feeds he is on and off the breast like crazy, having little cries and looking as frustrated as I feel!
I'm always hoping he is getting enough milk and each week when I weigh him I always have my fingers crossed that he has gained weight (Thankfully he has had a gain each week!).
Sometimes I think it would be sooooo much easier switching to formula- he drinks from a bottle with no issues (have tested this with expressed milk), Hubby could share with the feeds, and at least I could actually see how much milk he was taking in.
But, I've decided to stick with this whole breastfeeding caper for a while longer. Let's see how we go!

1 comment:

  1. Hope things get better for you! Do what feels right for you and your baby.

    ReplyDelete